Thursday 10 April 2014

Recipe: Chocolate Ripple Cake

Chocolate Ripple Cake was always a favourite of mine as a kid.  I don't really know why as I never really was the biggest fan of cream.  But I loved this cake and always requested it for my birthday.  So it was an obvious choice for my first "sweet" recipe in my two a fortnight challenge.

Chocolate Ripple Cakes are extremely easy to make and look quite impressive when you cut into them.  I didn't take step by step pictures just because I really didn't think you needed them.  So here we go...

Ingredients:

  •  500ml of cream
  • 1 teaspoon of caster sugar  (I didn't have this so I used 1/2 tsp of white sugar & 1/2 tsp of icing sugar - I think you could just use white sugar)
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
  • 1 packet of chocolate ripple biscuits

 

Process:

STEP 1:
 Put the cream, sugar and vanilla essence into a bowl and beat on medium speed until thick and peaks are forming.

STEP 2:
 Spread a layer of cream on a platter (this will make your base).

STEP 3:
Using a knife or spatula cover both sides of a biscuit with approximately 1/2cm thick of cream.  Then get another biscuit and stick it onto the first biscuit and cover the blank side with cream.  Continue with this until you have used up all the biscuits.
(You can make any shape of cake you want.  You can put the biscuits side by side or in rows or on top of each other.)
If you don't know what I mean by this step, see below for pictures :)

STEP 4:
Cover the entire cake with the remaining cream and put in the fridge for at least 6 hours.  (I put it in for nearly 24 hours and it worked even better!)


As you can see below I didn't try too hard to make the cake look perfect...


However when you cut into it, it looks really effective...



 To make the cake a bit prettier you can sprinkle grated chocolate or cocoa powder over it.  Also adding things like raspberries or thinly sliced banana would be amazing!



Review of Recipe:

My husband and I really enjoyed this cake and it was just as I remembered it!  I am taking the rest away with me this weekend with my parents so I hope they will like it too!  It is a very simple recipe and is a good one as you can make it ahead of time.  I will definetely be making this again soon and adding a few extras as I mentioned above :)

Do you have any cakes or other meals you used to have as a child?  Let me know and I'll attempt them :)



No comments:

Post a Comment