Monday 28 April 2014

Recipe: Chocolate Banoffee Pie

  On the weekend my husband & I had visitors for lunch and then tea on the same day.  Literally as one couple left the other couple (and their adorable kiddies) arrived so it was quite a big day for us.  I went simple for lunch just doing a barbeque and then a fruit platter for dessert.  With tea we had a barbecue again but I made potato salad (recipe coming soon) and a Chocolate Banoffee Pie.  They say you should never cook new things when you are having people over but I did and they both worked out!  :)


Ingredients:

  •  250g McVitie's Digestive Biscuits
  • 125g butter (melted)
  • 380g can of Nestle Caramel Top 'n' Fill
  • 2 - 3 bananas (sliced)
  • 300ml thickened cream
  • 2 Cadbury Flake bars (crumbled)
 

Process:

STEP 1:
 Put the biscuits in a sealed bag and smash them with a rolling pin until they are all broken up.  Place crumbed biscuits into a bowl and add the butter.  Combine ingredients.

STEP 2:
Cut baking paper to size and line a tart tin.  Press biscuit mixture into the bottom of the tin and around the sides, trying to make each side even.
Then place the tin in the fridge to chill/set for one hour.

STEP 3:
Spread the Caramel over the biscuit base, again trying to make it as level as possible.  Arrange the banana in a single layer over the caramel.

STEP 4:
Whip cream in a bowl using electric beaters until soft peaks form.  Top the pie off with the cream and sprinkle your chocolate pieces over it.
And then... TUCK IN! :)
(Note:  I bought lite cream accidentally and as you will see in the pictures it didn't whip very well.  So I would suggest full cream, though the pie still ended up delicious!)









Review of Recipe:

Everyone loved this pie especially the base which shows it pays to spend a bit more on the right biscuits.  I will definitely be making this again as it was extremely simple and doesn't take long at all!  This can be kept in the fridge for a couple of days after making it however the bananas will taste the best the first day.  This recipe is a good way to use up bananas that are a bit "past it" though it would taste good with fresh ones.  You can put whatever chocolate you want crumbled on top or nuts would make a nice addition.


 Let me know if you make this recipe and make sure you check out my other ones!  So far I have really surprised myself in that everything has been simple and turned out really well!  As always let me know if there is anything you'd like me to try to cook!



PS:  Sorry there wasn't step-by-step photos of this one.  I finished this off while my visitors were over so I didn't really want to whip out the camera! :)  That said it was really easy so you probably don't need them - this recipe tends to correct itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment